Thursday, July 7, 2011

There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Portland, Oregon
My sweetest mija of all, Olivia, and I had planned to go to Hawaii for Memorial Day Weekend, but thanks to one flight canceling and our flight being delayed, we were stranded in SLC. That wasn’t gonna fly with Olivia and most def not gonna fly with me. I had one requirement: anywhere other than Utahrd. And my wish was granted. So, Liv and I made the decision to pack up our stuff and roadtrip to Portland, OR to visit the Gallegos clan.

I didn’t realize how far away Portland was from Provo, but it’s sort of a long drive. 12 hours I believe. We managed to make it to the Gallegos’ home in one piece. As I walked into their home, my immediate thoughts were these: Did Ash come and decorate this home? Ash needs to live in Portland. We were greeted by Mama Gallegos, cooking chorizo for breakfast. Half-awake Sam came down and barely greeted us, mainly because it was 5 a.m. Papa, in Dallas Cowboy’s attire, gave us big hugs and the “papa” comments from Olivia began spewing forth like vomit. Mary was disgusted to say the least.

After a good sleep, we went and hung out at the old Gallegos’ home, which was also super cute. It was so strange driving around town. The streets were small, there were people walking on them, there were little stores here and there, it was as if we were in a real live town! The weirdest part was that it was so quiet. You could hear the wind. The hustle and bustle life just doesn’t cut it for Oregonians. 


We dragged Sammy along for the ride to Corvallis where Olivia's aunt lives and stopped at what is now my second all-time favorite fast-food joint (1st will always be Chick-fil-A.) : Burgerville. Misleading in a way, because yes they sell burgers and yes they are fast food,but they are fast food Oregon-style. They are organic and earth-friendly, they sold asparagus straws, used real strawberries (and I don’t mean real strawberries as in the kind that come in a vat of strawberry juice, but actual ones you pluck from a plant) in their milkshakes, real Tillamook cheese, half of their menu was vegetarian, and best of all was their itemized and calorized receipt. Yes, their receipt broke down your caloric intake for each item and told you how much carbs, iron, etc. I am obsessed and if I had time, I would fight for a franchise here in Utahrd and def Georgia. They are GOLD. Way to recycle and reduce water usage, Burgerville, kudos.

After devouring our Burgerville delights, we reached an absolutely gorgeous plantation-style home (basically) which happened to be Olivia’s aunt’s home. It was gorgeous. They had a chicken house, acres of land, a trampoline, and a magical creek that ran along their property. The best part is that it is their dream home which they designed and built. Life really can’t get better than having your own fresh eggs and home stage.
 
The next day we adventured to Portland. When we first started out of the house I was confused as to where we were going when we passed the car and Olivia said to Max (the tracks in Oregon) and I was still confused because the closest rail-tracks to my home in Georgia is a 30 minute drive, not a 4 minute walk. Thank you Oregon for building your public transportation close to people’s actual homes. Max was a fun adventure in itself. I particularly enjoyed the several hundred signs on Max talking about how people should not try and outsmart, out run, etc. Max or they will die. Maybe Oregonians like to live life a little on the edge…of the tracks.

And then there was Portlandia. The famed city which Olivia had talked so much about. I really do enjoy going to different cities because they each have their own feel and style, and this was especially so with Portland. For a major city it was on the smaller side, but the oddest part was that it was relatively calm and quiet for a city. If you’ve ever been to NYC or ATL, they are 24/7 hustle and bustle, lights and loud. Portland was peaceful and pleasant. Most cities aren't relaxing. I felt like I could walk on the streets without having to watch my surroundings, which was nice. 

We headed to the Portland Saturday Market, but before we got there we were distracted by a little white booth that asked the question, “Do you want to know if you’re going to Heaven?” I and my immoral spirit have been concerned over this question and my curious self wanted to know the honest answer. I walked up to this cute elderly couple and asked if I could take their questionnaire to find out if I would be worthy to get to Heaven. The first question was, “Do you believe you’re going to Heaven?” and I answered “Yes.” They were both delighted that I got the first question right (I wonder if a lot of people get that one wrong…). The final question was multiple choice, “Why do you think you’re going to Heaven?” Well, I was nervous, they all seemed like such good answers and I was afraid I was really going to screw up. Luckily, the kind elderly lady gave me a hint since I got the first question right, “It’s ‘Other’ you have to fill in the blank.” Crap. Now I was really nervous about getting it wrong. How bad would that look if I couldn’t get into Heaven because my test-taking skills were sub-par? I thought for a couple minutes, and then wrote down “The Atonement.” The couple looked at my answer and erupted in joy and congratulated me and shook my hand and said, “Yes! Only Jesus can get you to Heaven! All you need is to believe in Him and you’re saved!” =] Yeah, that’s right. This girl here is going straight to Heaven. My fears have been put to rest once and for all. That was the highlight of my Portlandia adventure, I could’ve literally died right then and there and been happy. Wanna know why?? Because I’m going to Heaven.

Once I had been saved, we entered the Portland Saturday Market. If you ever get a chance to be in Portland on a Saturday, you MUST go to the Market. It had anything and everything. Tons of tie-dye shops, hemp (they had hemp dog leashes! I almost bought one for Maxie and Princess, but decided to make my own for them), food, jewelry, artwork, boxers, etc. It was so much fun. We eventually settled on buying this way sweet glass hanging vase for Cici from this wicked cool lady who blows glass with her husband. 

We unfortunately ran out of time in Portland, so we didn’t get to try Voodoo Doughnut or any other hip spots because we had to see our precious Caroline sing in her Music in May concert back at home. After the musical festivities, we headed back to the Gallegos’ for some authentic Mexican food and family lovin’. (Family lovin’ translates into a hierarchical fight between the four Gallegos’ children and into counting the number of times Olivia said “papa”).    


We left beautiful Oregon, but this time we got to leave it in the day-time so we really got to enjoy the spectacular beauty of it all. Portland is like Georgia in greenery, except they are different types of trees. It was beautiful and reminded me of all the green at home. The major difference is that there are no mountains in Georgia, and Portland just had rolling mountains of beautiful trees and the scenery was gorgeous. Honestly beautiful. Loved loved loved it. A little bit chilly for my taste, but I am a warm-weather girl and we were at the exact opposite side of the country from Georgia. 

I loved Portland. I love that the people are sustainable, the country is green, that Burgerville is a strong presence, the people are eclectic, and the Gallegos’ live there.




Peace and Blessings

2 comments:

  1. Also, it's called "the Max" not just Max. And the closes Max station to my house isn't a 4 minute walk. It's a 15 min drive. So, she just happens to live close to it.

    ReplyDelete