Monday, January 2, 2012

Rachel's first email


Hola familia!

FYI, I'm alive. These have been the most craycray (remind me to stop using slang, that's a mish rule I am having problems with), what 3? 4? days of my life. But, it's all good. I feel like I've finally landed on my feet today, so hallelujah for that. I would tell you my schedule, but I still have no clue what it actually is being the first week is apparently way different from the upcoming ones. But in a nutshell, I've been studying! Actually, you should call me Maestra Schwartz instead of Hermana Schwartz being I've been teaching my district (me, my 2 companions *I'm in a three-some*, and 4 baby elders) Spanish since day 1. I'm in intermediate Spanish btw. But teaching has been a blessing because it's been a good refresher on grammar and vocab and it's nice to loosen up my tongue. I'll briefly tell you about what the lo-down has been being there are elders staring me down (limited amount of computers): the MTC I've come to find as being a mixture of Hogwarts, the "I Want You/She's So Heavy" scene in Across the Universe. Sorry, my thoughts are jumbled so I'm jumping over the place: I got picked up by my friend Hermana Jenny McKay (she hosted me, basically showed me around on my first day)! SUPER FUN! Here's a list of all the lovely people I've seen whilst here: Elder SamSam Gallegos, Elder Justin Mack, Sister Winters, Brother Sturgess, a guy from my BYU ward, a guy apparently from my D&C class, Sister Abraham, Brother Archibald, Elder Chang, and a Sister Ruiz. I get to say night to Elder Gallegos (Olivia's brother) it seems every night and watch Elder Mack (JMack's broseph) eat, so good times=]. I am a blessed girl, my companions are gold. Seriously so perfect for me. Super kind and accomodating and willing to do whatever and just all around sweet. Their names are Hna. Turner and McCullough (from SAn Diego and Idaho going to Pocatello Visitor's Center- funny story she went to BYUI and said she'd never returned and now she's going on her mission there, and Tampa, FL). Crap I have 9 mins, didn't realize this was timed. Anyhoo, I still don't feel like I'm here on a mission, I kind of feel like I'm a teacher who knows jack and an observant who knows even less, so maybe one day it'll hit me=]. I think the thing that has hit me most since being here is that these 19-year old boys are babies! They are so precious and they have no clue (along with myself) what the deal is, but what is impressive is that they're getting their acts together and going through whatever this is. I honestly have a completely different level of respect for return missionaries. Hot slam this mission stuff is freakin tough. Oh btw, Faja, remember how you bought me volleyball knee-pads for bball because I ate the floor all the time? Yeah, well I am now sacrificing my body for the better good of volleyball=]. Please don't send knee-pads. I don't know if this email makes any sense or sounds depressing or exciting or whatnot, but just know that I am super grateful to be here, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be tackling in life right now, I'm being humbled a tonizzle and I love you guys!

Peace and Blessings,

Hna. Schwartz

No comments:

Post a Comment